Hello all,

I covered giving and receiving feedback in a recent blog post. Here is an excerpt:

Courageous conversations

Once students receive their peer assessment feedback, dedicate a portion of the next class for teams to meet and formally discuss the feedback that was received. If this was the formative peer assessment conducted halfway through the project, the team can discuss ways to improve during the final stages of their group assignment. The process is comparable to a sprint retrospective that comes after a scrum sprint in agile development.

The sprint retrospective is a recurring meeting held at the end of a sprint used to discuss what went well during the previous sprint cycle and what can be improved for the next sprint. The Agile sprint retrospective is an essential part of the Scrum framework for developing, delivering, and managing complex projects (What is a sprint retrospective?).

One of the activities that we do in our formative retrospective is formal feedback. In this activity, one group member leaves the room. The remaining team members provide formal feedback that will be read out to the student when they rejoin the group. Of course, there is a formal methodology that we use to structure our feedback that is taught to the students beforehand. The methodology is based on the BET (behaviour, effect, thanks) and BEAR (behaviour, effect, alternative, result) models of giving feedback. I illustrate this methodology in a presentation given at the Talking Teaching symposium in 2019 (view video).

Teaching students the art of giving and receiving feedback is an excellent way to help students develop these soft skills. Unfortunately, giving and receiving peer feedback is not a skill that comes naturally to most people. With practice, students will perform better in group projects and hone their work-ready soft skills.

Students don’t naturally learn to become effective team members by simply participating in group assignments. Just like acquiring other skills and knowledge, work-ready soft skills must be taught by the teacher and practiced by the student until mastery of those skills has been attained. Peer assessment and feedback are crucial to the process as this is often the only formal guidance that students will receive about how they are progressing.

You can read the full blogpost here - https://www.peerassesspro.com/develop-employability-skills/

Best regards,

Patrick