Hi everyone,

I hope you are well and safe! My institution plans to open in seat this
Fall with social distancing conventions in place. I will be teaching a 30
student class in a large room so that students can remain spaced out.
Moving close enough for group work is not an option--moving at all will not
be an option. I'm thinking through my options for implementing as much
active learning as possible. One option I'm considering is re-flipping my
classroom to a more traditional class and requiring virtual group work
outside of class. It worked okay during my asynchronous summer class.
Students met virtually throughout the week for the quizzes and application
exercises and submitted the application exercises on a shared Google doc.
The quality of their work was not as high as it is when we meet in person,
but I'm not too bent out of shape over it, because: pandemic--there are
worse problems in the world right now! 🤪). I figure that during our class
time, I'll conduct independent active learning exercises and whole class
discussions interspersed with short clarifying lectures. But, I would love
to hear what everyone in similar situations is doing! And if you have any
ideas on how to conduct small group work while remaining at least six feet
away from your group members, please share! ☺️

Best,
Katie