Dear Katie,

Great questions indeed. I can only speak of my experience shifting from
f-2-f to online half way through the semester, so, as Julie indicates, this
is a slightly different situation, but some of my approach may be of use,
and the issue of team leader may be instructive. I too have been using the
article that Julie shared with you. However, I've also had to do some
additional design using our LMS and discussion boards to support
asynchronous discussion.

My students have completed 5 TBL modules f-2-f, so they are familiar with
the process in an undergraduate, introductory geography course, part of the
general education curriculum. I realize that you are teaching a grad.
class, but in any setting that offers TBL (and you aren't part of a large
cohort of instructors who do the same) it's an interesting challenge to
support student engagement while making some effort to manage anxieties.

*Student Concerns Shifting to Online*: Before spring break I surveyed
students on their 3 biggest concerns moving to online. Students feared
missing deadlines, managing f-2-f virtual classes new duties at home
(tutoring younger siblings, having access to internet etc), increased work
hours (employers were hearing that classes were shifting online so they
were expecting students to do more work). I analyzed the results, reported
them back to students, and let them know I had decided to go asynchronous
in response. And then of course I've been second guessing myself for a
week.  NOTE: I think checking in to assess concerns about mode of
instruction and about method of instruction is valuable at the beginning of
any new endeavor :)   I designed a small individual assignment that asked
students to report how they will be managing their asynchronous deadlines :)

*First i-RAT Results: *I'm happy to report that this week only 3 students
failed to complete their first online i-RAT.  I use Intedashboard, the
software and company that Brian (also on this discussion list) directs. The
software allows me to quickly check who completed and those who did not. I
did have one partial completion - a student forgot it was timed, but she'd
already emailed me yesterday.

*Transition Support: *I will be reaching out to those folks who missed the
i-RAT this morning, checking in to see how they are, and encouraging them
to join the t-RAT discussion even if they did not complete the i-RAT. I am
also going to provide an extra credit option for those folks so they don't
feel left behind as we transition. (We are using discussion boards to
create a virtual t-RAt discussion, I'm not happy with that set up but it's
what I have on my local LMS and I'd love to hear what others do. In
discussion boards you can limit access until students first start a thread,
so their first thread is to list the question numbers, indicate the answer
they chose and further indicate with an * which questions they were unsure
about.)

*Leveraging Team Leaders in an asynchronous world.* In Intedashboard, each
module has a team leader whose role is to report t-RAT responses and also
the team's answers to application questions. for the first week of online,
I I identified the team's leaders (something I typically don't do) using
the alphabet. Then I reached out to those team leaders in a separate email
and gave them step-by-step guide on how the t-RAT process would occur what
their new responsibilities were in collating team thoughts etc. I then
offered office hours and 4 of the 10 team leaders attended, along with
other folks who had questions.  As we chatted over zoom, I realized I had
some really great team leaders and allies in this effort. We talked about
carrots versus sticks as we helped our team members to transition. One team
member had got a lowish grade on peer evaluated teamwork. I mentioned that
this was a perfect opportunity for him to review the peer feedback (also
located in Intedashboard) consider the comments, and then reach out to team
members and support their transition.

My apologies for going a little off track, but I do think that assessing
student concerns and then sharing those concerns back with the class can be
very powerful, reaching out early to folks who many not quite grasp their
role and deadlines, and engaging directly and supporting team leaders are
all important.  The latter may play a more important role than I had
imagined (at least in my gen ed undergraduate class).

Manda

Amanda Rees,
 Ph.D.
Professor of Geography

*Coordinator*: Columbus Community Geography Center
<https://csuepress.columbusstate.edu/ccgc/>
*Chair*: Teaching & Learning Enhancement Committee
*Editorial Board*: Journal of Geography (2020-2022)
*Mailing Address**:* Dept. History & Geography, Columbus State University,
4225 University Ave,  Columbus, GA, 31907
*Office Location**:* 350 Yancey Center One Arsenal Place, 901 Front Ave,
Columbus, GA 31901
<https://www.columbusstate.edu/maps/images/Map2016_WEB2_.jpg>