I’ve waited to respond to this to see how things are going for me.  In contrast to some, I decided before we left for spring break that I would keep the class synchronous.  I also had the advantage of being on a semester system, so my students and I were all familiar with each other, and I had the chance to communicate with them face-to-face about my expectations before we moved online.

This semester I am teaching an introductory level microeconomics course, so a lot of my team activities are ungraded multiple choice questions asked in class covering basic concepts and applications.  As we move through a unit, I give more graded, submitted team assignments. I didn’t want to change this, but the normal back and forth in class with multiple choice questions would have been a bit of a challenge to have me front and center, give students a few minutes to talk in teams, determine when to bring teams back to me to get the simultaneous report.  So I have been providing notes and questions that I would normally write on the board for relatively short team discussion, and ask teams to think about it and discuss it together, then I reveal the answer on the next page of the notes (Word document, so they can look ahead, but they’ve already seen the value of thinking to learn).  We lose the benefit of the full class discussion, but I have had a couple of assignments that are more brainstorming type on a full class discussion board, where each team might provide its best example of a perfectly competitive industry, for example.  Then I respond on the discussion board and they can see what other teams were thinking about.

I ask them to be synchronous every day, using our already determined class time.  I have had 100% attendance in one class and very close to that in the other.  I can nag right away when I see a student is not on Canvas.  Then they can also work together on the submitted, graded team assignments during class time.  I’ve done short Zoom sessions to clarify any issues from team activities and homework and address any questions.

Most, if not all, of my teams already had a group chat text message system to communicate before we went online.  Some have continued their interactions that way while others are using FaceTime video and others have set up their own Zoom meetings for their team.  They are resourceful.

I want to share this email from student, not just to brag, but to show this somewhat flexible, yet synchronous system does seem to be working:

“Hey Professor Espey!

I just wanted to let you know that team 7 is doing great with our new version of class lately. We do a group FaceTime every class session to get our team assignments done, and I attached a screenshot of one of our meetings!

Thank you for being able to switch everything online so efficiently... “

😊

Molly Espey, Professor

John E. Walker Dept. of Economics

247 Sirrine