I do give instructions and the questions themselves are fairly specific.  I
even give them examples in the discussion.

How much did their discussion indicate that they read the assignment?
How much did their discussion indicate that they prepared for the IRQ’s?
How much were they able to explain concepts?
How much did they contribute to the TRQ?
They give them a rating of 1, 2, 3 (3 being the highest; 0 if they were
absent or didn't participate).

Even with that, there is NO EXCUSE for giving someone a rating of 3 who
wasn't even there. There no excuse for rating someone who wasn't there a
higher rating than someone who was.

This is what bothers me the most. Combined with the gaming the system and
the implicit bias, I have to question are peer reviews doing what they're
supposed to do? Are they really just a popularity contest? Do students even
pay attention to what they're supposed to be rating?

Don't get me wrong, I know some students do take it seriously and carefully
consider but since these ratings have real (grade related) consequences is
it fair to others when their team members don't take it seriously or other
teams game the system?