Jim,

Sorry to be slow in responding. Our missionary assignment here in Iceland
keeps us really busy. In response to your inquiry, I had two different
Ph.D. students try to use process-feedback discussions to speed up the
teams' development. One was before I learned about the IF-ATs (thus, had
only end-of-test performance feedback) and the other was while I was using
IF-ATs. The both had students fill out a short instrument (different ones)
that asked about the nature and effectiveness of the teams' process. They
then summarised the data and had teams review the data and talk about the
results at their next meeting--usually two days later. In both cases, the
outcome was the same. Students quickly lost interest in both answering the
questions and in talking about the results. The most common comment was
that they didn't learn anything because the immediate performance feedback
had already motivated them to talk about the process issues. Thus, they
didn't feel like they gained anything by talking about it again. Further,
based on comparisons with teams in previous semesters (i.e., with no
process discussions), there was no evidence that the intervention had any
impact on the teams' performance. Thus, neither effort was ever written up.

Larry

Larry K. Michaelsen, Emeritus Professor of Management
Ásatún 42 #201,
Akureyri 600, Iceland
cell phone: +354 618-4517

For info on: