Hi Peter,
I've been using TBL in my undergraduate Human Development courses for several years. Many range in size from 80 to 100 or so students. TBL preparation in terms of course content/activities is generally about the same as for smaller courses, of course.  At times, I've had to change up how I run Gallery Walks - depending on the room configuration and # of groups. When I've had larger #s of groups (more than 15), I'll ask them to look at a limited # of posters and pick a "best" from those... and then we've had discussions comparing strengths of those initial "picks".
Sincerely,
Judi

From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Clapp, Peter A
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2018 12:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXT] Class size and workload

Hi everyone,

I've been wrestling with a thought on teaching workload in the TBL classroom, and I was hoping someone would help by brainstorming ideas or pointing me to available information on the subject.

The question: does faculty work/effort change significantly with larger class sizes in a TBL classroom?

Here are some of the assumptions/observations I'm starting with:  TBL assessments are easy to grade because the students don't produce lengthy written papers and most tests are multiple choice (especially for those who use IF-AT cards).  Facilitating application activities in a class of 30 takes no less time than facilitating application activities in a class of 90.  Pre-reading preparation by the faculty member (learning objectives, collecting articles, or pointing to relevant sections of a textbook) can be time-consuming but the amount of effort does not change with larger class sizes.

If room size/fire code dictates smaller classes, then a large cohort may require multiple sections of a class, which would certainly increase faculty effort.  Stuffing folders with paper copies of RATs, applications, etc. can increase time if there are more teams.

Thanks in advance for challenging my assumptions, adding to the list of observations, or commenting in general!

Peter Clapp, PhD
Chair, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy | Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions
3333 Regis Blvd., Denver, CO 80221 H-28
P 303.625.1312  |  E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> |  REGIS.EDU

To unsubscribe from the TEAMLEARNING-L list, please click here.<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.ubc.ca%2Fscripts%2Fwa.exe%3FSUBED1%3DTEAMLEARNING-L%26A%3D1&data=01%7C01%7CJudith.Bradetich%40unt.edu%7C46d6658f2c274bdba16908d5e3657a9d%7C70de199207c6480fa318a1afcba03983%7C0&sdata=T3g1bb6ZSo%2BYT3Xkox4DknQjNBFyhDikD6aVT9yvwJw%3D&reserved=0>