I like Dean’s ideas!

I’ve found it crucial to discuss with the students how to give and receive feedback.  There’s a reading someone here recommended that is used with med students- I don’t have time to search the archives but it’s there somewhere, and I have an adapted handout I use with my freshmen/sophomores.  We practice writing constructive, actionable feedback, and talk about why it’s important not to get defensive when you receive feedback.  I rarely have issues with people giving poor feedback, and I’ve cut down the angst to one or two students per semester.

-Candice

Candice Benjes-Small, MLIS

Head, Information Literacy & Outreach

McConnell Library, Radford University