Hi Chris,

Having tried incentives at multiple institutions (SUNY-Albany, UT El Paso, and Vancouver Island University), I can say for certain that they do have an impact, but it’s due more to their symbolic value rather than the monetary value. I’ve traditionally offered something in the neighborhood of $500, payable in kind, once a set of very specific project benchmarks have been met. If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll send you a list of those.

If the stipend is too big, it turns the whole affair into a transaction. If the stipend is too small, it feels a bit like an insult.

The stipend has two effects:

1) A tease to tip forward those who are interested. Rarely does it capture someone who was not already inclined. We use an application process that helps communicate expectations for participation, and that tends to help filter out those who might do it purely for the money. The benchmarks, for example, are presented in the application form, and are not trivial.

2) Pull through: the stipend provides a pretext for follow ups with the new adopter. For example, we can say, “If you’d like to complete the TBL project and qualify for the 500, then here’s the next benchmark you need to hit.” Hitting the benchmarks and “completing” the project are driven by the faculty member’s sense of pride in completing what he/she committed to.

It is often the case that, by the end of the semester-long project to learn and adopt TBL, the faculty members are no longer interested in the money, and have to be actively urged to spend it. But having the $500 as an initial external motivator makes a difference.

Bill Roberson

Vancouver Island University