From: Team-Based Learning <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jen Wrye <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 10:33 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Questions from a novice

Hi everyone,

I’m a new TBL adopter. So far things feel like they’re going well, but I’m hoping for guidance on a couple matters.

1.       PEER FEEDBACK: How can I collect & distribute peer feedback effectively & efficiently? Our LMS is Blackboard, and we don’t seem to have a function that allows students to anonymously give each other feedback on their ‘helping behavior’ (or does it?). Students who hand write feedback could be identified by their teammates. I could collect it via. email, but that seems labour intensive for me. I’ve promised anonymity this time, but might revisit later. Any ideas or insights?

2.       AN INEFFECTIVE GROUP: I understand peer feedback might help matters. Baring a shift, one of my groups is not working. One member is super strong. Two are ok. Three are weaker. The strong member does all talking, writing, representing for his group. He tries to ask other members’ opinions, but mostly they choose to add nothing, and he moves things forward. Any suggestions to change this dynamic without becoming overbearing?

Thanks for considering responding to these questions. Looking forward to lots more engagement on the listserv.

Best,

Jen

Jen Wrye, PhD
Instructor, Department of Humanities & Social Sciences
North Island College
2300 Ryan Road
Courtenay, BC  V9N 8N6
(250) 334-5030

I’m grateful to live in the traditional, unceded territories of the K’ómoks First Nation.