Hi

Interestingly, we can see application activities in everyone else discipline…but not our own :-0

There is a whole TBL book on TBL for the Humanities and Social Sciences

https://www.amazon.ca/Team-Based-Learning-Social-Sciences-Humanities/dp/1579226108

Questions where there is no clear answer actually makes things better…..then we can talk about different perspectives, the effect of context, what make a particular choice right in this situation…when viewed from this perspective

I don’t have examples to share….but I saw a RAP question in a literature course that might help…..the teacher had students read 4 different preparatory article…then asked which article best supported this assertion….then which of these specific passage best captures the essential ideas of argument X

It can be helpful to think about the shape of a 4S task

[cid:99E523B1-BC9B-4A80-9C68-C04A2F7B6F6C]

My website has more ideas http://learntbl.ca/4s/

Here is a list of some 4S question prompts I have collected over the years

  *   A patient comes into emergency with the following symptoms…
     *   What is the first thing you would do? And why?
     *   What is the first test you would order? And why?
     *   What would be the worst thing to do? And why?
  *   Given 3 possible programs to end homelessness in your city, select the program that is the best and will likely be most strongly supported by local agencies and Civic leaders? (Michaelsen and Sweet)
  *   What is the most relevant theory that explains the behaviour in the video? (Kubitz and Lightner)
  *   Which of the following best describes the opportunity cost of coming to class today? (Espey)
  *   Which of the following should the University do to best increase the quality of Undergraduate education? (Mahler)
  *   Which sampling scenario would best address this research project? (Mahler)
  *   Given three valid historical interpretations of the progressive Movement, discern which best describes the Progressives revealed in our manifesto? (Restad)
  *   In Clarence Page’s op-ed piece “The Problem With Trashing Liberty”’ where does the responsibility for a safe a civil society lie? Which of the following three philosophers (X, Y, and Z) does Clarence Page most agree with on these fronts? (Roberson and Reimers)
  *   What of the following passage in the Bhagavad Gita best illustrates reflection about the nature of Krishna’s divinity? (Dubois)
  *   Rank how useful each source is for understanding the fears of the Cold War era. (Restad)
  *   Which teacher should be nominated for a teaching award? (Croyle and Alfaro)
  *   Which indicator (from a list of 5 plausible alternatives) is most critical to making a correct diagnosis in this case? (Michaelsen and Sweet)
  *   If a moving vehicle overloaded this bridge structure, which component would likely fail first?
  *   You are making a home assessment, which of the following safety hazards would be of greatest concern? (Clark)
  *   After assessing Mrs. Randall’s dining room what would be your first recommendation to protect her from falls? (Clark)
  *   What line on this tax form would pose the greatest finical risk due to an IRS audit? (Michaelsen and Sweet)
  *   Given a set of real data, which of the following advertising claims is least (or most) supportable? (Michaelsen and Sweet)
  *   You are consulting for a new business owner who wants to open a dry-cleaning store in Norman, Oklahoma. Where would you recommend locating a new dry-cleaning business? (Michaelsen)

Take Care

Jim

[cid:CE8B0E98-EE67-45DA-A70D-EE02216143E6]

Jim Sibley

Director
[cid:4A5189DC-764D-435C-8C20-A48766CBBB77]
http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/
Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia

CEME 1214-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4
Phone 604.822.9241
Email: [log in to unmask]<applewebdata:[log in to unmask]>

Check out my book Getting Started with Team–Based Learning<http://www.learntbl.ca>
Check out my TBL website at www.learntbl.ca<http://www.learntbl.ca>

© Copyright 2016, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively "message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the message.