In recent years, I've developed a first day TBL application session on the history of racism and segregation at our institution. It makes for a meaningful and compelling means for engaging students in the mechanisms of TBL, while providing experential learning on a topic that would not otherwise factor heavily into my course (on neuroscience).

The point is that you can make that first day meaningful on many levels. I would encourage you to consider ways to achieve one of Larry Michaelson's "S"s --"significance" -- even on day one when you are mainly training to orient students to TBL. A lesson on institutional racism certainly achieves that goal for my students and me.

Hope this helps.

Len

Leonard E. White, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Doctor of Physical Therapy Division
Department of Neurobiology
Duke University School of Medicine

Associate Director for Education
Duke Institute for Brain Sciences

Co-Director
Bass Connections in Brain and Society

Associate Director for Integrative Human Biological Sciences
Master of Biomedical Science
Duke University School of Medicine

Co-Director for Undergraduate Studies in Neuroscience
Trinity College of Arts and Sciences