Hi all,

I don't have the articles on hand, but my recollection of the research is
that you want women to form the majority of a group here, and that it's not
quite enough to just have pairs. Of course, you should take me with a grain
of salt since I don't have the actual research on hand.

Cheers,
-Michael

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 4:24 PM Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> there is research in engineering education on gender balance in teams
>
> We don't have lone women in teams....better to pair women and have some
> all male teams
>
> I can dig the research next week if you are interested
>
> jim
>

> *Educational Consultant specializing in Team-Based Learning*
>

> Read my TBL book Getting Started with Team–Based Learning
> <http://learntbl.ca/book>
>
> Visit my TBL website at www.learntbl.ca
>
> Take my TBL course http://learntbl.ca/take-a-course/ and build your first
> TBL
>
> module in just 2 weeks
> _______________________________________
>
> Jim Sibley and Amanda Bradley
> 106-2575 West 4th Ave.
> Vancouver, BC
> Canada
>
> h 604-564-1043 <(604)%20564-1043>
> w 604-822-9241 <(604)%20822-9241>
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM, Kirkpatrick, Michael Scott - kirkpams <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> This spring I have a class with a significant imbalance between men and
> women – 9 women and 26 men have enrolled. Any thoughts on whether to spread
> the women out, bunch them together, or it doesn’t matter?
>

> In Computer Science, this type of imbalance (10-20% women) is typical. In
> fields (like CS) where women tend to be underrepresented, best practices
> generally say that you should never leave a woman in a group by herself.
> Isolating a female student can unnecessarily aggravate variety of
> contextual factors (stereotype threat, impostor syndrome, defensive
> classroom climates, etc.). I can't say if similar effects happen in other
> fields, but this seems to be the consensus in CS.
>
> --------------------------
> Michael Kirkpatrick
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Computer Science
> James Madison University

> the UBC IT website.

> the UBC IT website.

Michael G. Lerner, Ph.D.
Secure email: [log in to unmask]
Assistant Professor of Physics
3-2 Engineering Program Liaison
Earlham College Department of Physics and Astronomy
801 National Road West -- Drawer 111
Richmond, IN  47374