I think one of the chief benefits of an early application exercise is that
it gives students the feel of what they'll be experiencing with TBL. Given
the kind of context you've described, I'd tend to be prepared with 2-3
brief scenarios that would help the students think ahead to some of the
communication dynamics they might encounter in their team interactions.
I'll offer these as possible scenarios, but am not fleshing out the

   - You have a teammate who seems distracted and spends at least part of
   each class responding to text messages. Together with your team, identify
   the best way to approach your teammate.

   - One of your teammates has a loud voice that becomes even louder when
   discussing an exciting topic. Select the best way to ask your teammate to
   modify their volume without dampening enthusiasm during discussion.

   - A member of your team will be asked to advance an argument that
   illustrates your team's thinking on an application question. Which of the
   following options represents the best way to make a case for your
   perspective. (Here I'm thinking something like "make a statement and show
   your reasoning," "make a statement and offer evidence from the readings,"
   etc.)

   - You have a teammate who seems shy and has chosen a seat off to the
   side, giving your team a bit of a "tail." Identify the best strategy for
   getting your teammate incorporated into group discussion without making
   them feel awkward or singled out.

   - You prefer to talk through ideas to arrive at a conclusion. A member
   of your team finds this distracting and prefers to think quietly for a time
   before offering a suggestion. What is the best to ensure an effective
   decision making approach for everyone in your group?

I've used questions like this to help them get a sense of what they can
expect from me in terms of facilitation. For instance the question about a
teammate's volume gives me a chance to explain that I'll be walking around
and listening to their discussions, but they shouldn't expect me to chime
in or guide them in a particular direction. The third bullet gives me a
chance to say that we'll alternate who represents the argument from a team,
etc.

All my best,

Shawnalee

--

Shawnalee A. Whitney

Director, Center for Advancing Faculty Excellence

Associate Professor, Dept of Journalism and Communication

University of Alaska Anchorage

Follow CAFE on *Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/uaacafe/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel>*