Annetta--

In general, I have found that dysfunctional team behavior is better prevented then "fixed." I suggest taking some time at the start of the semester to allow your teams to bond. Start with some ice breaking exercises (I have some if interested). Then allow them to grow into their roles by providing low risk activities, then increase complexity over time. We can easily forget that faculty also take time to acclimate to a new group!

Perhaps the most important element I have found is to do group activities (whenever possible) DURING class. This allows you to observe their behaviors. It also eliminates time conflicts, missed communication, doing work without teammates, etc.  In class teamwork allows you to provide the critical feedback and positive reinforcement that enables students to grow in confidence in themselves and their teammates.

Although I know this approach may not be possible all the time, I have found it greatly improved my teams' dynamic.  Most students now like their teams, and often hang out together outside of class.

Mark A. Serva
Associate Professor of MIS & MIS Advisor
University of Delaware
Schedule a meeting with me: http://www.meetme.so/servam