Here's my quick take on the topic.

It would appear that the problem lies with work done outside the classroom. One of the important tenants of TBL that I strongly encourage is providing class time for group work to limit phenomenon like social loafing and situations described by your student. I also try and address issues such as these in the classroom through continual reinforcement that we must recognize that different team members bring different strengths and styles to the table, and it's everyone's responsibility to help the team function well. I begin the semester with several team-building activities including personality tests and a team charter through which the team sets ground rules for operating. This document is in their team folder so they see it frequently throughout the semester. My class is a management course, so I also have the opportunity to further explore groups and teams as a class topic.

In rare occasions you may need to have a direct chat with a particularly different dysfunctional team and/or individual team members.

Cathleen Erwin
Auburn University

Sent from my iPhone