Having gone through several years of TBL, this is how I now handle missing a RAT:

First of all, I assign 11 iRATs, but the lowest score is dropped. This allows folks with situations that arise to have some flexibility. It also allows them a chance to get used to the iRAT process without being overly penalized. When students have an excused absence (in our program this is often fieldtrips, but it can also be illness), then I simply remove that iRAT from the final calculation – so it would be 9 instead of 10 scores that I am counting at the end. They still have the chance to drop the lowest score.

I always give each member of the team the same tRAT score.

Jane Rongerude, PhD

Assistant Professor

Department of Community and Regional Planning

Iowa State University

477 College of Design

Ames, IA  50011

Phone: (515) 294-5289