Judith,

This is an important question:  How do you get faculty interested in learning the powerful new ideas about college-level teaching that are "out there"?
     We don't have a tradition in higher education of learning about teaching but we badly need it.

My response to your question:  We need both a bottom-up and a top-down approach.
    Bottom-up:  This is where you or a faculty developer or some advocate of good teaching can work to build enthusiasm for learning about teaching.  I have found that the best "argument" for learning and using new ideas is to link them to the general problems that many professors face in their teaching: problem with attendance, low engagement, and poor levels of student learning as evidenced in test or project performance.  If these advocates can say:  "Hey, you might want to take a look at these ideas and practices.  A lot of teachers have found they increase class attendance, etc."

Top-down:  At the same time, we need to encourage college & university administrators (chairs, deans, provosts) that, if they want a top-notch educational program, it is absolutely necessary to find ways to encourage a high percentage of all teachers to learn about and use these new ideas about Best Practice in college teaching.
    They can do this via annual evaluations and course evaluations.  These usually focus on the Holy Trinity of higher education: teaching, research, and service.  What they need to do is add a component there on professional development, especially in relation to teaching.
    The justification for this is that all professors need to work on getting better, all the time, i.e., every year throughout their career, even the good teachers.  We can all get better, and if that is possible, we need to be doing it.  And that means two things:  Learning about teaching and changing our teaching.  It is hard to get better without doing both of these tasks.

My Best,  Dee Fink