From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Small, Candice
Sent: July 15, 2016 10:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: When TRAT score is terrible

One of my groups got 20/100 on the TRAT.  The other teams got 90 or 100, so I'm pretty confident it's not the TRAT.  The individuals in this group skipped the homework before the IRAT, and their IRAT scores were 30, 40, and 60.  Now, I usually use the 60% rule: you have to achieve at least a 60 on the IRAT to get your team's TRAT score; otherwise your IRAT score stands for your TRAT. If I followed that rule strictly, the student who did the best on the IRAT would have the lowest TRAT score. My options:

1.      Give everyone the 20 as the TRAT score

2.      Give everyone their IRAT as the TRAT score

What would you do?

(FWIW- this is a compressed semester so we only have 3 IRATs/TRATs, so I don't drop the lowest score like I do in the regular semester; I did spend a good chunk of time debriefing with the group to figure out how they went so horribly wrong- that led to confessions of not doing the reading, taking poor notes, etc.)

Best,
Candice