Hello All,

I am headed out in a few weeks, to do a "train the trainers" program at a
forward-looking university in Colombia.  One of the Associate Provosts at
Universidad del Norte has obtained a national grant to develop some
trainers who will work as consultants with faculty members in two
departments - English and Math - at two different universities.  The goal
is to convince and enable these English and Math professors to make
substantial, learning-centered changes in design of their courses and in
their teaching practices.
    These trainers will have taken my online course on Integrated Course
Design [which is available in Spanish].
    But while there in person, I thought it could be useful to work with
the trainers a bit more on how to use TBL as a good teaching strategy - IF
that can be applied in a good way with English and math subject matter.

*Question*:  Does anyone have examples of how [and how well] this can be
used with courses in these two disciplines?
     I know that traditionally:

   - *English *profs like to have students read a text and then have a
   whole class discussion of it.
      - Are there questions that can be used as good TBL assignments for a
      team to analyze a literary text, e.g., a novel or poem?
   - In *math*, the tradition is for the prof to work some problems in
   class at the start of a unit, and then assign homework lessons for students
   to work on.
      - Working math therefore always seems like a solitary, individual
      activity.
      - Again, are there good ways to create a TBL activity where teams
      discuss something about working math problems?

Many thanks in advance for any help or ideas you can provide!

Dee Fink

--
L. Dee Fink

**Former President of the POD Network in Higher Education (2004-2005)
**Author of: *Creating Significant Learning Experiences* (2013, Updated
Ed.,  Jossey-Bass)
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services