What about including questions designed to get at the ways the group/team process has contributed to student understanding of the material? I like forward-looking questions, too, the kind that get them to thinking about what the experience has taught them and how they’ll use that in the future. Perhaps something of this nature…

1.      Interaction with other students in a team context has ________ my learning this semester:

positively influenced

had neither a positive nor negative influence on

negatively influenced

2.      Provide one example of a time when your learning was influenced by the contribution of another student:

3.      My contributions during team interactions hav ________ the learning experiences of other students this semester:

positively influenced

had neither a positive nor negative influence on

negatively influenced

4.      Provide one example of a time when you believe your contribution(s) to the group/team process influenced the learning of another student:

5.      Identify the most beneficial thing you have learned about team interactions as a result of working in TBL this term. How will it be useful to you in future interactions in purpose-driven groups or teams in your personal or professional life in the future?

On #2 and 4 above, note that I’ve intentionally excluded positive and negative. They could opt for either one. For example, someone might say “I was able to share my knowledge of Subject X with my team,” but someone else could say “I think my repeated absence from class hurt my team. This was mentioned in the evaluations from my teammates.” Both are valid insights.

All my best,
cid:image001.jpg@01D028F8.7F6C7880

Shawnalee A. Whitney

Interim Director, Center for Advancing Faculty Excellence (CAFE)

Associate Professor, Journalism and Communication

University of Alaska Anchorage

3211 Providence Drive

Anchorage, AK 99508

www.uaa.alaska.edu/cafe