From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Campana, Kristie L
Sent: March 19, 2016 11:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Peer evaluation issue

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice about how to address an issue with a peer evaluation. In my course, we have 7 people per group. I use their peer evaluations as a multiplier on the team-based component of their grade. Specifically, I give them 600 points that they can distribute to their 6 group members (they give themselves a 0, which is omitted from the calculation). This way, if they want to give someone credit for being a great team member, they have to take points away from at least one person in the group. I then average these points to determine what their multipliers will be. Here's a link to a blank version of the survey (created for a group of 8 members) so that you can more easily understand what I mean: https://mnsumankatopsych.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_brTC64jV7hommgZ (feel free to fill it out and click through, it won't hurt anything).

The issue is that I have one student who has not come to class after the first day. We've had multiple conversations about it, but it is clear at this point she is not going to come to class, and won't drop the course. However, as you can imagine, this has caused a problem with the multiplier. Her group mates have reasonably given her a zero on her peer evaluation, which means they have an extra 100 points to distribute to other members, which results in some people getting 125% on their team grade. This is clearly not in the spirit of the evaluation, and gives members of this group a huge advantage in their grade compared to other students in the course.

I would love to just eliminate her from the evaluation, but I think I need to get student ratings on her just in case she files a grade appeal. However, I am thinking that maybe I will just have them rate her separately, so that they can give her a zero without ending up with a bunch of extra points to distribute to other group members. Anyone ever run into this problem? What did you do?

Kristie Campana

Minnesota State University, Mankato