Here is another article that discusses the merits or role of the lecture:

Friesen, N. (2011). The Lecture as a Transmedial Pedagogical Form A Historical Analysis. Educational Researcher 40(3): 95-102. http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/0013189X11404603

I don't think that lecturing is necessarily bad (though it can most definitely be done poorly... just like active learning can be implemented poorly). But that lecturing ALL the time is a poor teaching strategy. And many of us in the TBLC know this - we all make use of the mini-lecture when an intervention on the part of the instructor is necessary to advance our students' learning.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Haave, PhD
Associate Professor, Biology
Managing Editor, CELT
Vice-President, AIBA

University of Alberta, Augustana Faculty
Rm C155, Science Wing, Classroom Building, Augustana Campus
4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB, CANADA   T4V 2R3

"We do not learn from experience . . . we learn from reflecting on experience" - John Dewey