I no longer concern myself with absences other than zero for not writing an
iRAT. I let the student peer evaluation multipliers take care of that. I
tell students that if they are going to be absent from a class it is their
responsibility to inform their team and then it is up to their team-mates
to decide whether or not it is a valid excuse and whether it should be a
consideration in their peer evaluation. I also remind the class as a whole
that university-sanctioned activities  (e.g. sports teams and field trips)
that force students to miss class should not be held against the student
who is absent. Generally speaking the students do a better job of policing
themselves then I do of policing the class.

Cheers

Neil

*Neil Haave, PhD*
Associate Professor, Biology
Managing Editor, *CELT
<http://celt.uwindsor.ca/ojs/leddy/index.php/CELT/index>*
Vice-President, AIBA
<http://www2.mtroyal.ca/~tnickle/AIBA/AIBA_website/AIBA.html>
Faculty Affiliate, CTL
<http://uofa.ualberta.ca/centre-for-teaching-and-learning/about-ctl/people/faculty-affiliates>
McCalla Professor
<http://uofa.ualberta.ca/centre-for-teaching-and-learning/awards/mccalla-professorships>

University of Alberta, Augustana Faculty
Rm C155, Science Wing, Classroom Building, Augustana Campus
4901 - 46 Avenue, Camrose, AB, CANADA   T4V 2R3

email <[log in to unmask]> | Augustana dossier
<http://www.augustana.ualberta.ca/profs/nhaave/> | Google+
<https://www.google.com/+NeilHaave> | blog
<http://activelylearning2teach.blogspot.ca/> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/nhaave> | LinkedIn
<https://ca.linkedin.com/in/neilhaave>

"*We do not learn from experience . . . we learn from reflecting on
experience*" - John Dewey