From: Team-Based Learning <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, 13 October 2015 2:48 a.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Student note taking during TBL

Consider summarizing the discussion as a class, including any individual contributions from notes. This becomes a collective note and permits you to comment.

Initially, stand back and let one of the teams formulate the common note. Then make your comments, solicit further information, and post the result as a common note for review and study. (There are no secrets. Nor should there be.)

Individual notes often bear little or no relationship to what an instructor has said. Saying it again doesn't change anything. A team or class discussion might bring more clarity.

I've never tried this, but it should get you to a good result, especially after some time in teams.

A guide sheet could help speed the process and improve the results. I'm thinking of suggestions such as "what do the readings say about the questions or conclusions?" Revise the sheet with teams or the class.

Don't worry about minor procedure much. Think about what is in the notes students take and do they get better with time.

Regards,

David Smith