Hi James and Amanda (and everyone) -
I teach Intro Psych in sections of 140 students. Intro Psych is one of the foundations of a typical American general education program. Thus, the majority of my students are first- or second-year students, are not majoring in psychology, and will likely never take another psychology course again. The majority of my students enter college required to complete either developmental reading or developmental math or both prior to beginning degree requirements (i.e., they are unprepared for the rigors of college work).

I grade application exercises. Everyone in the team earns the same score on the exercise. Students who are absent work out an arrangement with their teammates that everyone feels is fair. Some teams ask the absent student to do more work on a subsequent activity; other teams grant the absent student grace depending on the reason for his/her absence and the frequency of the absences.

I rely on students' responses to the peer evaluation to reflect their general sense of each teammate's contribution to the team. I concur with Amanda that students are often very generous in their peer evaluations. However, I'm not comfortable second-guessing the peer evaluations as I have too many teams to make valid or consistent judgments of the quality of their interactions.

Teams take attendance on their team folders but attendance is not explicitly part of the final grade. I tell students that the attendance log is for their own reference when completing peer evaluations at the end of the term. On the other hand, students earn points for most class meetings, either through participation activities or team quizzes. Students who miss class can complete participation activities early but I do not offer make-ups. Students who miss or are late to team quizzes earn a zero on the quiz.  Thus, frequent absences become evident in student's grades as they miss the points associated with each class day.

Looking forward to thoughts and suggestions about these issues!
cheers,
lm

Laura Madson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor