Dear James,

Great to hear from another person teaching in general education courses
(first and second year of the US 4-year undergraduate university system for
those TBLers in other parts of the world).

In my intro 1000 level college class everyone has to sign t-RATs and
applications when they are complete. Both the t-RAT multiple choice
question handout and application handout have space for the team name and
team members present. This is how I keep track of attendance.  I don't give
a grade for attendance.  Instead, individual team members will not receive
a grade if they've not attended either t-rats or applications.  I have a
cover sheet on the front of every team folder that clearly indicates the
grade each team receives for t-RATs and applications.  Folks get a 0 if
they don't participate in those activities.

Outcomes are various.

   - The literature on best practices indicates that having them physically
   present in the classroom generates a much better outcome. I've increased my
   attendance levels (much higher than before I applied TBL) and I can quickly
   identify folks who are in trouble.
   - The state funding formula for Georgia system public institutions now
   emphasizes retention, progression, and graduation rates (rather than just a
   per capita payment) this really helps with the retention and progression
   portion.
   - We have a requirement at my institution to provide a bi-weekly report
   on attendance for anyone using VA benefits for college (just started this
   semester). This method provides a very quick way for me to check on
   attendance as I have 10% of my class in this situation.
   - It is my experience that team members are EXTREMELY generous to their
   team mates whether they attend or not.  I only see the very worst offenders
   being penalized for lack of team engagement and attendance. So, offering
   the carrot of a grade for t-RATs and application seems to be effective at
   coming to a reasonable grade for reasonable effort.

Manda

Dr. Amanda Rees
Professor of Geography, Department of History and Geography
Tel: (706) 507 8358            Fax: (706) 507-8362
E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Web: <[log in to unmask]>
http://columbusstate.academia.edu/AmandaRees

*Coordinator*
<http://history.columbusstate.edu/columbuscommunitygeography.php>*:
Columbus Community Geography Center*
<http://history.columbusstate.edu/columbuscommunitygeography.php>

Mailing Address:
Department of History and Geography, Columbus State University
4225 University Avenue, Columbus, GA 31907, U.S.A.

Office Location:
901 Front Avenue,Yancey Center at One Arsenal Place
Room 350  (campus map
<http://www.columbusstate.edu/maps/CampusMap-Oct2012-Color.pdf#page=2>)