Hi Alison,

I agree with Kare.  Because you haven't built a policy into your syllabus,
it's best to rely on the peer evaluations.  Granted, if you have a general
attendance policy in your syllabus you could lean on that; for example, if
they need to provide documentation of illness, etc.

My syllabus details that they cannot make up team in-class applications
because they have to be there to participate.  Keeping in mind that life
happens, I do drop two scores at the end of the semester.  (To clarify, I
don't grade in class applications.  They count for 20 participation points
per activity).

I hope this helps.

Best,

Kristen

--
Kristen M. Budd, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Sociology, Criminology, and Social Justice Studies

Miami University

Upham Hall 367D

Oxford, Ohio 45056-1879 U.S.A.

E-mail: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Phone: 513-529-1598

Chair-Elect, Crime & Juvenile Delinquency Division, Society for the Study
of Social Problems (2015-2017)

Chair, Crime & Juvenile Delinquency Division, Society for the Study of
Social Problems (2017-2019)