Dear Neil and Heather,

Keep calm and carry on!!!!!

Neal: I tell students that TBL is a learning process, that the first iteration of the TBL process is for them to learn not for me to grade. I let them know of the 10 modules they'll complete in 16 weeks I drop two lowest grades (t-rat and application) which is usually includes some early efforts.  If you do less modules then I'd drop one.  I also offer to drop one module in my advanced/grad class.

I'd also like to say that I really have appreciated some of the recent comments on TBLC that point to the great different in the types of students who are experiencing TBL.  Some colleagues are working with graduate students in professional programs where the level of engagement and buy-in is usually high.  I'm working with first year undergraduate students in an institution serving a large minority population, in a region where high school preparation is uneven at best. Plus I've got lots of first time students who don't remember doing any geography at k-12 and don't want to be in a general education class.  My strategy is to repeatedly let my students know this is a new learning process, that I understand there's going to be a period of adjustment as they shift to from knowledge consumers to knowledge producers, but that I feel confident that they will do well as they get the hang of it all. I am confident and they they do well !!!! I've gone from about 60% productive grade (A,B,C) to 90% :) even as student evaluations have dipped.

TBL is a MASSIVE shift in thinking about the learning process.  Usually wary of drinking all the Kool-Aid all at once I decided to dive into the swimming pool as I'd been looking for a pedagogical approach that shifted the relationship between students and learning.  Though I do a few things a little differently from some of the folks, especially as I find it useful to scaffold the application process so my student population can effectively collect and organize evidence before discussing their team application (I give that work a grade), but I really do like the TBL framework.

Heather: A strategy I've just started is when I present the list of concepts that students have to prepare for their i/t-RATs I also model the note taking strategy with one or two concepts to show them how they'll want to prepare for class.  This has been a light bulb moment for me, because the stronger their notes in preparation, the easier they find it to respond effectively in writing to the application.

I'm presently in a stem group of faculty considering flipping their classroom (part of a stem grant).  We meet every few weeks to discuss various strategies.  I'm one of two folks using TBL (the other being a music colleague) in the classroom.  My biology colleague who runs our pre-med program (and who's come to observe my classroom) shared with the group that the regional medical program some of our students transfer into is now asking that their recruits be familiar with TBL. I'm looking forward to supporting a few more colleagues so I can have a home-grown team of TBLers.

Manda

Dr. Amanda Rees
Professor of Geography, Department of History and Geography
Tel: (706) 507 8358            Fax: (706) 507-8362
E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Web: http://columbusstate.academia.edu/AmandaRees

Coordinator: Columbus Community Geography Center

Mailing Address:
Department of History and Geography, Columbus State University
4225 University Avenue, Columbus, GA 31907, U.S.A.

Office Location:
901 Front Avenue,Yancey Center at One Arsenal Place
Room 350  (campus map)