From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Heather Lerner
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: first RAT of the term

We are having the same problem in a first year intro Ecology course. Some students have asked us to just lecture at them because they are tired of doing badly on the iRATs, I guess. They say they don't know what to study out of the textbook when we assign it before the iRAT. They want us to give them a handout of exactly what to know. I feel like they need to build life-long learning skills of how to prepare for a 10-12 question quiz in a class on basic concepts. Here is the guide we gave them for how to study:

Here are some tips for how to prepare for RATs using the textbook:

You should be able to define any vocabulary terms in bold and use them correctly.

For each section of the text that has a heading in bold black letters (these sections are usually ½ page to 2 pages in length), be able to write a sentence summarizing the main take-home point.

For each figure in the text, you should be able to interpret the figure and explain it in your own words.

It would be great to hear from others how to encourage these students are doing so poorly on the iRAT and are uncertain how to study. Note: we also offer a study session for two hours the night before the quiz, staffed with TAs