Autumn and fellow TBL Colleagues,

I have run into both these issues (hearing and cognitive impairment) in my 80 person class which is a general education class - world regional geography GEOG 1101.

In regards to the student who was hard of hearing (and had some cognitive issues related to hearing) we were located in a room that was very echoey.  So even in a small team environment the student could not hear her colleagues and could not participate in the team application. She had tried to explain her condition to her colleagues, and though they had tried to address the issue she was frustrated. I also intervened but recognized that the acoustics was something that defeated most efforts.  Because she had not gone through the required assessment by our Disability Services program she could not be accommodated in a way that they could support.  So, reluctantly I had her complete the remaining applications by herself (last 4 weeks of class) - she made her best efforts to engage in the t-RATs.  This was the first and only time I've done that in 3.5 years of TBL and I don't plan to be in that situation again, and hope to be checking in on teams much more regularly to catch an issues.

So I wouldn't find myself in that situation I asked our campus director of Disability Services to come to my class and watch the TBL process.  I wanted her to understand the process, and to have her input so I could be sure that I would be able to meet the needs of my students. She recognized that a first semester student with additional needs may find the class a challenge.  She decided that she would not recommend the class to new students who were diagnosed with learning or personality disorders.  (However, as we know those can arise as our students mature and we won't catch everyone.)

My university services military students and retirees from Fort Benning, GA and I have had several students with PTSD. Indeed, last semester I had a student who let me know he was in my class even though he had been advised not to attend classes by his military doctor.  In my experience, PTSD students sometimes ask for permission to be able to get up and walk around.  As the class is very flexible that is fine.  Military students are mostly happy to let their colleagues know they have some issues that may impact their team activities, though of course this is not required.  It is my impression that military PTDS students enjoy the small team environment. However, that is my visual impression not something that I've studied.

Manda

PS I'd also love to hear how folks have addressed the issues that Autumn brought up and anyone teaching geography TBL classes.

Dr. Amanda Rees
Professor of Geography, Department of History and Geography
Tel: (706) 507 8358            Fax: (706) 507-8362
E-mail: [log in to unmask]      Web: http://columbusstate.academia.edu/AmandaRees

Coordinator: Columbus Community Geography Center

Mailing Address:
Department of History and Geography, Columbus State University
4225 University Avenue, Columbus, GA 31907, U.S.A.

Office Location:
901 Front Avenue,Yancey Center at One Arsenal Place
Room 350  (campus map)