Hi James,

I also struggled with this and this semester shifted things partially on line (if you have that option).  Specifically, they do their I-RAT on line in a True / False format – I have decided to give them 3 chances and take the average score.  I have built a list of about 30-60 questions for each RAT so it is a random selection of these that they get each time.  They have to have it completed before class on the Team RAT day.

Then, on the T-RAT day, I have them do a multiple choice exam as a team only.  I do suggest they take 5 -10 minutes first so that they give their first impressions, and then the teams go to work.  I do walk around the room a lot to see how long they are taking.  I generally give them a total of 40 minutes to complete the 10 item MC team RAT (with the initial time) which gives me about 5-10 minutes to comment on problems they had individually in the true / false items or things I was hearing in the team parts.  They do their appeals outside the class time (and I have shifted these to individual extra credit – amazing how FEW do them).

Of course, our university has been pushing for “blended / hybrid” online and in person classes so most of our classes at this point are at least “online enhanced” which means I can require students to do work on line.

I hope this helps.

Stacey

Dr. Stacey Nofziger

Graduate Director and Associate Professor

Department of Sociology

Olin Hall 247

University of Akron

Akron, OH 44325-1905