Dear Sonia and others struggling to get students prepared to take TBL exams.

I could not agree more with Lane Brunner, the MCQ exams are not the limiting factor here- it’s the proper implementation of the session and the questions themselves.  There should be an introduction to the IRAT/GRAT and application process and an explanation of the expectations (e.g. group and self-directed learning) at the start of the semester- before class starts, there should certainly be well written course/class objectives, and faculty/teachers should pay special attention to how they write their questions/what they are asking/and how they are asking them.  If these are done correctly, some students will still find the exam questions troubling and difficult (that is OK), but they will rise to the challenge- they will work harder with their teams, prepare harder before coming to class, and evolve to perform better.

After so many years of performing TBL as an instructor, it amazes me how students constantly rise to the challenge as long as we stick to the principles mentioned above.  One further point that has not been mentioned is something that I personally find essential for good TBL session- namely facilitation.  Creating great TBL MCQ questions is not a perfect science- students will always struggle with various issues- having someone in the front of the classroom who can manage the follow up discussions and engage students in that discussion (e.g. get students to answer other students questions) is very important.  There is a publication on that very issue in Medical Teacher (facilitation in TBL) that speaks to this.

Those of you brave enough to use TBL for the first time- you have already started doing your students a great service.  Keep it up!

Charles Gullo, PhD

Medical Education

304-691-8828

MUSOM