RESEARCHERS TO CHECK FOR "ACTIVE-BASED LEARNING" (AND SYNONYMOUS CONSTRUCTS SUCH AS "DISCOVERY-BASED LEARNING" --    EARNEST BOYER CALLED THE SAME THING "RESEARCH-BASED LEARNING") INCLUDE VARIED PUBS BY W.F. WHYTE  AND ALSO BY DONALD SCHON.

 IN MY BOOK (UNIVERSITIES AS IF STUDENTS MATTERED,) I DRAW ON THEIR IDEAS, AS WELL AS ON THOSE OF OTHERS TO EXPLORE THE UNDERLYING NOTION (WHICH ALSO SUBSUMES THE IDEA OF TEAMS DOING THE "DISCOVERY") EXPLICATED OVER A CENTURY AGO BY JOHN DEWEY:  "LEARNING HAPPENS BY DOING"...............

John Scanzoni

P.S.  TED SIZER APPLIED THE SAME APPROACH TO K-12