Dear Medical Educator Members of the TBL Listserv,

I am contacting you to request your participation in a research study entitled Active Learning in Medical Education.  The purpose of the study is to define the pedagogical practices in medical education that lead to active learning, and to assess the associated manpower and costs to implement those practices. A more detailed description of the study can be found below. This anonymous survey will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. It can be accessed at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/activelearninginmedicaleducation

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me using the information below or by email ([log in to unmask]).

Thank you,

Scott

Scott Compton, PhD :: Associate Dean :: Associate Professor :: Medical Education, Research & Evaluation :: Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School :: 8 College Drive, Level 3, Singapore 169857 :: 65-6601 1565 (Office) :: 65-6227 2698 3847 (Fax) :: [log in to unmask] :: www.duke-nus.edu.sg

Study Description:

Principal Investigator:  Scott Compton, PhD, Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School.   [log in to unmask]  (+65) 6601-1565

Co-InvestigatorLiu Chang, Assistant Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. [log in to unmask] (+65) 6601-1484

Purpose of This Research

The purpose of this survey study is to define the pedagogical practices in medical education that lead to active learning, and to assess the associated manpower and costs to implement those practices.

Who can participate in the research?

You are eligible to participate in the research if you are a current or former medical educator.

What is the approximate number of participants involved?

Approximately 200 medical educator participants will be involved.

What will be done if I take part in this research?

If you decide to take part in this study, you will be asked to provide an example of how you would convert a traditional lecture-based curriculum module to one with greater active learning opportunities for students. You will also be asked to estimate the manpower needs for conducting that module.

How will my privacy and the confidentiality of my research records be protected?

All information collected from the study will be stored without any identifiers. Only aggregate responses will be used in a publication or presentation.

What are the possible discomforts and risks for participants?

                  There is no foreseeable risk associated in this anonymous survey study.

Will there be reimbursement for participation?

                  There will be no reimbursement for participation. Participation is voluntary.

What are the possible benefits to me and to others?

There is no direct benefit to you by participating in this research. The knowledge gained will benefit the public in the future and inform future research.

Can I refuse to participate in this research?

Participation in this study is voluntary. You are free to refuse to participate and to refuse to answer any question. If you wish to withdraw from the study, you may leave the questionnaire at any time and follow-up with an email to Dr. Scott Compton with the date and time at which you started the survey.

Whom should I call if I have any questions or problems?

If you have any questions about this study now or in the future, you may contact Dr. Scott Compton at the following phone number: (+65) 6601-1565 or by email at [log in to unmask].

For an independent opinion regarding the research and the rights of research participants, you may contact a staff member of the National University of Singapore Institutional Review Board (Attn: Mr Chan Tuck Wai, at telephone (+65) 6516 1234 or email at [log in to unmask]).

Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.

To unsubscribe from the TEAMLEARNING-L list, please click here.