For tRATs, I also use 4-2-1-0 with the 4-question IF-ATs, but the statement "I couldn't justify giving 1 mark…" made me think of a philosophical dilemma that I have with iRAT grading. For iRATs, I just give 1 point for each question. Thus my iRATs are out of 10 points while my tRATs are out of 40 points (but they get scaled back to 10).

So here's my dilemma: What to do about students who get a 0 on the iRAT? (This is closely related to how to award partial credit on exam questions, which is another big area of philosophical difference in education.) These students clearly did not do adequate preparation, often no preparation at all. However, I sometimes feel the need to differentiate between those who show up for the iRAT and those who skip, because the former at least demonstrate some mental effort. For instance, it has happened once or twice where someone shows up so late that they miss the iRAT entirely and just take the tRAT.

Ultimately, getting a 0 on the iRAT is so rare that I don't dwell on it. But the philosophical question of what warrants a score of 0 is interesting (for me, at least) to think about. So I'm curious if others give out 0s on the iRAT or do you give some base score (say, a 1) to denote present but unprepared students. Also, note that I am working exclusively with undergraduates at a public state university, if that provides some context.

-msk