Hi,

I'm writing you with some econ examples.

Although maybe we economists should exchange e-mails, too?  One thing that
works well with econ is having the students predict real data together.
They can discuss who is right and why, and then you can reveal the actual
data at the end, which has a nice flavor in many cases.

*In health care economics, I ask students to predict the percentage of
health outcomes (life expectancy, QALYs, etc) that can be attributed to the
health care system.  We discuss the reasons behind their percentages, and
then I reveal the Health Affairs article answer to the question, estimated
using official economist’s techniques.  I have generally been amazed how
closely the student answers align with what the researchers came up with.
And the team or teams closest to the researcher’s answer always feel a
sense of pride.

*In micro and health care, I have students estimate elasticities for
different behavioral responses.  What is the elasticity of demand for
cigarettes?  What is the elasticity of procedures w.r.t. co-pay?
Medication refills w.r.t. co-pay?  What is the elasticity of unemployment
w.r.t. the minimum wage?  Often I can find studies that estimate these
elasticities, and the students get a feel for the way magnitude and
direction form elasticities that are comparable across situations.  They
get a sense for a highly elastic and inelastic number.

*I pick a New York Times or Wall Street Journal article from a while back
describing predictions of some sort (and eliminating what actually
happened).  Then I have them translate the article’s ideas into supply &
demand curves to make predictions.  Finally, you reveal what actually
happened and relate this to what they came up with, highlighting what they
were able to predict, and what factors they omitted from their analysis.
Sometimes this takes the form of “Draw a graph of what happened to
inflation over time given these real world events in each decade” (this is
for principles).  Also, I might have similar assignments with recent
articles.  For example, I had students predict the market impact of Tesla
releasing their patent on the market for electric cars, the market for
cars, and the market for Teslas.  It will be a while before their
predictions can be validated or invalidated.

*In micro, have the students build a welfare function that they could then
hand over to policy-makers for making policy.  They have to identify
relevant stake-holders, and place importance weights on the utility
functions of each stakeholder.  I have them listen to This American Life’s
podcast episode on disability insurance, and construct a social welfare
function.  They have to consider stakeholders such as uneducated people
with minor disabilities, educated people with major disabilities, rural
people, taxpayers, etc.  They get to decide how to break down stakeholders
and what form of a social welfare function (Rawlsian, utilitarian, etc) to
use.

*Writing case studies that start with something like “You are in a small
town and there is a monopolist hospital….” can be really good, but really
time consuming.  I would like to make it a goal to add one more such case
study to my course per semester.

*In microeconomics, I have them build models.  So, I will give them a
situation (often in the form of a video), and have them design a model by
choosing a choice variable, objective function, and other relevant
variables.  They then have to draw a picture of the variable relationships
in their model (demonstrating diminishing and increasing marginal
returns).  They write their models on the board (we have lots of board
space), and I go around and comment on the strengths and weaknesses of each
model.  This gives lots of room to praise their creativity in
model-building, and to catch common misconceptions.

*In microeconomics, have them write up a couple of paragraphs predicting
the impact of the invention of the 3-D printer on a particular industry.
Then post these to Moodle, have  them read other teams’ for homework, and
then have the teams vote on which team had the most reliable predictions,
or which team you would hire as a consulting firm.  This is like the
gallery walk, except it takes less class time.  (NOTE: I have actually
tried switching to video-making instead of paragraph writing, and the jury
is still out as to weather this is superior or not.  But there will
definitely be someone (probably everyone) on each team with a smart phone
capable of making short videos.)

I have some more examples.  And I would love to collect examples from other
economists.  So, please e-mail me if you have good applications.

Ashley

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Kubitz, Karla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  For me, it’s not so much that my students are learning more.  It’s that
> they are learning something very different than what I used to have them
> learn.  They used to be expected to basically memorize stuff.  I have no
> idea whether they understood or could USE any of what they memorized.  Now,
> with TBL, they are challenged to understand and use the theories and models
> and research studies that they’re learning about.  That’s what’s
> different!  Karla

"Above all else watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flows
the wellspring of life." -Prov 4:23