Hi all,

Jim has done a really nice job of explaining why you do NOT need to explicitly teach teamwork skills with TBL. I would only add a couple of things:
1) Other than the occasional "everybody shift two spaces to the right (or left) intervention (which is also useful in the tiered, fixed-seat classrooms that I usually end up teaching in), I have actively intervened in only two teams since my initial use of  TBL in 1979. That's 2 out of over 1,500 teams and neither intervention took more than two or three minutes. I haven't needed to because of the natural dynamics that Jim so elegantly describes.
2) On two different occasions that were previous to my discovery of the IF-ATs, I've had a graduate assistant who, based on prior experience with and exposure to Cooperative Learning, wanted to try to improve the functioning of the teams by doing some team-skills training.  In both cases, we tried using a combination of "teaching" teamwork concepts and post-activity reflective discussions. Although students cooperated fully, we failed to see any evidence that the intervention did anything but use up valuable class time. In fact, after a couple of team training sessions, we started getting complaint that we were "beating a dead horse" and wanted to engage in what they thought was more meaningful learning activities.

My conclusion is that there is NOTHING we can do to teach team skills that is more powerful than making sure that students get immediate PERFORMANCE feedback. If they know how they are doing, they will find a way to eliminate the things that are holding them back and increase the use of behaviors that are helping.

Larry