Ron,

We use TBL in a clinical skills course aimed at developing consultation skills. Most of the course is traditional TBL applying new knowledge to solve patient cases. However towards the end of the course we do something different. We individually record the students consulting with a simulated patient. In their teams  they review the recordings of their 5-6 team members and select the person who they believe performed the best (giving each other feedback along the way). Each team's selection goes forward to a 'final' the following week. In the final we split the year in half ( 9 teams in each) and they construct and agree the assessment criteria for an effective consultation. Teams 1-9 then view the 9 chosen recordings from teams 10-18 and assess them against the agreed criteria. They are then asked to select the 'best of the best.' They simultaneously reveal their chosen team's winning consultation and we facilitate a discussion, asking them to justify their decisions. This is repeated with 10-18 assessing teams 1-9.

These sessions are probably the most enjoyable, engaging and rewarding classes I've ever done. They are fun for the students and because it's at the end of the course, the teams are comfortable giving and receiving feedback from each other during the team reviews

If you have recording facilities, could you do something similar?

Best wishes

Simon
Simon Tweddell BPharm MRPharmS FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice
Curriculum Development Fellow
Centre for Educational Development
University of Bradford
Bradford
United Kingdom
BD7 1DP
Tel. +44 (0)1274 235241
Email. [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Twitter: @simontweddell
Skype: simon.tweddell

Accredited Consultant-Trainer in Team-based Learning