Dear TBL Practitioners,

This is the first time I am addressing this group. I have been tasked to disseminate the use of TBL to the greater university following its successful launch within our school of medicine.

Right now, I am focusing on a converting some modules of relatively competitive engineering programme into TBL. It has about 56 students. We have started with 2 modules, one on Manufacturing Engineering and another on Fundamentals of Business, and the students and the professors alike took the TBL like ducks to water.

But in the incoming semester, we want to introduce TBL to 2 modules, one on Mechanical Engineering and another on Electrical Engineering. I am sensing some apprehensions and the professors are unconvinced about the utility of TBL in highly computational disciplines, where one and only one answer is correct (with little discussion) and in terms of specific choice, they allow many different acceptable solutions as long as they are mathematically sound.

Question: Can anyone of you share any experience on the use of TBL in the same or similarly COMPUTATIONAL/MATHEMATICAL/APPLIED MATH modules?

Thank you and appreciate your answers in advance.

Best regards,

Red Mendoza, MD

Deputy Director, Pedagogical Practice

Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine

Nanyang Technological University

www.lkcmedicine.ntu.edu.sg

CONFIDENTIALITY:This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged.If you are not the intended recipient,please delete it,notify us and do not copy,use,or disclose its contents.

Towards a sustainable earth:Print only when necessary.Thank you.