Hi

I think peer evaluation is key….and it has to be peer evaluation with enough bite that the higher team grades are sufficiently tempered if you are a low performing student….so you don’t unfairly get benefit from higher team grades

We use the FINK course multiplier…that is well described in back of the original TBL book…..I think all the peer evalution methods are compromises…so you need to find the one that right for you and your students

Take a look at http://www.teambasedlearning.org/page-1032389 for a very high level look at peer evaluation

And the article “Peer Assessment and Evaluation in Team-Based Learning” by Christina Cestone, Ruth Levine and Derek Lane (Google it….it should be easy to find)….is very helpful

Whatever method you use…..I sit faculty down and we go through two scenarios…..take a high performing student with a great peer evaluation and check that at the end once peer evaluation is used to temper grades…that they are fairly rewarded….do this again with a low performing student to ensure that they don’t get an artificially high grade from the high team grades….when we do this we can typically see our peer evaluation may not have enough teeth

We have had teams with 80% team component grade…..where a lower performing student ends up with 50% and a higher performing student has ended up with a grade near 100%….we are OK with this since in our TBL is only a portion of the students grade…the TBL component in our courses is typically only 25% of total course grade…the rest is individual (mid-terms, finals, assignments, reports)

If you want a simple introduction to accountability in TBL…check out my website….http://learntbl.ca/what-is-tbl/making-student-accountable/

BTW

We did a study in second year mechanical engineering comparing student satisfaction with "divide the money" evaluations and the rubric based evaluations. The students were more comfortable giving low scores, if they could justify them. So overall they preferred the rubric-based evals

Jim
--
Jim Sibley

Director
Centre for Instructional Support
http://cis.apsc.ubc.ca/

Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2205-6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4
Phone 604.822.9241
Email: [log in to unmask]<applewebdata:[log in to unmask]>

Check out my new book Getting Started with Team-Based Learning available at Stylus Publishing<https://styluspub.presswarehouse.com/Books/SearchResults.aspx?str=getting+started+with+team-based+learning>

Check out TBL at www.learntbl.ca

© Copyright 2014, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments (collectively "message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the message.