June,

If you are like most of us, you want two things. One is having students truly understand the issues. The other is that you want to improve the quality of your questions (and are willing to grant appeals that would help you do it.)  On the other hand, what you  don't want to have happen is to get "ganged-up" on by the class. Assuming that's true AND assuming that the "problem" students are clearly a minority, I have a potential suggestion for your "Review" session that I think would be worth trying. It involves using your teams to help with both improving the questions and "educating" the students who are simply trying to get the points but, don't really have a good foundation for their position.
SOMETHING TO TRY
I'd still allow the students to create their index cards and their appeals but not ask for the appeals to be submitted until AFTER the review session.
At the beginning of the review session, I'd make it clear that the PRIMARY purpose of the session was to ensure that everyone understood the concepts from the material that was tested and a SECONDARY purpose was to give class members who have appeals the opportunity to get feedback on their appeals so they could either decide that they weren't valid or discover how to make them more convincing. Then, I'd give the teams a chance to review the test and identify THE question they would most like to discuss as a class, do a simultaneous report and run the discussion much like an application activity. Finally, at the end of the class, I'd give instructions on how you want the appeals process to be handled.

I would predict that:
>the overall flavor of the session would be learning and problem solving not griping.
>everyone, faculty included, would learn a lot--especially students who had unsupportable appeals.
>a reasonably high percentage of potential appeals would end up not being submitted.
>the team interaction would significantly reduce the extent to which "appealers" would be in an "attack" mode in their subsequent interaction with faculty.
>the appeals that made it through would be much better thought out,(i.e., less emotional and more rational)
>faculty would have the support of the class discussion if they still felt the appeals were ill supported

Whatever you decide to do, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Larry