Colleagues, I teach in a clinical therapeutics course at Drake University where all 3 semesters are TBL, and also teach in a Self Care course in the TBL format. The issue of concern is our appeals process after exams.
Currently, we allow students to hand in their scantrons, and take their exams into a side room to view multiple copies of an exam key with rationale for correct/incorrect answers. Students pick up an index card with a few short notes that they can take with them to file an appeal for the question within 48 hours of the exam.
The concern: This has become a very emotionally charged situation for a number of students, who argue in writing (without solid evidence) that their answer, not the faculty's, is correct. This has negatively impacted student evaluations of our teaching in some cases.
We would appreciate suggestions on how to better conduct these appeals, as we feel they are an important extension of their learning, to avoid antagonism.
Thank you in advance for your ideas!

June Felice Johnson, BS, Pharm.D., FASHP, FCCP, BC-ADM
Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Clinical Sciences Department
Drake University College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
2507 University Avenue, Cline Atrium 009
Des Moines, Iowa  50311
Office: 515-271-1849
Fax: 515-271-4171
Email: [log in to unmask]