Dear Medical Educator Members of the TBL Listserve:
This is the final request for your participation in a study entitled “Medical Educators’ Assumptions of the Impact of Team-Based Learning.”  The purpose of the study is to understand why medical educators choose Team-Based Learning (TBL) as an instructional method.  A more detailed description of the study can be found below. This anonymous survey will take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete. It can be accessed at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TBLoutcomes

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me using the information at the bottom of this message or by email ([log in to unmask]).

Thank you,

Scott Compton, PhD

Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, Singapore

Study Description:

Principal Investigator: Scott Compton, PhD, Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School.  [log in to unmask] (+65) 6601-1565

Co-Investigator:  Julia Farquhar, Research Associate, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. [log in to unmask] (+65) 6516-2586

Co-Investigator:  Sean Wu, MD Candidate, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School. [log in to unmask]

Purpose of This Research

You are invited to participate in a research study.  This information sheet provides you with information about the research. Duke-NUS researchers are conducting a research study to investigate the reasons why medical educators use TBL. In this study, we hope to describe the underlying assumptions that contribute to medical educators' choice to use TBL. We also want to know how educators think TBL compares to a more traditional, lecture-based curriculum.

Who can participate in the research?

Current or former medical educators who have some experience and/or understanding of TBL.  Anyone who identifies as a medical educator is included in this research, and there are no other restrictions. This questionnaire will take 5-10 minutes to fill out.  The survey will go offline after 1 month.

What is the approximate number of participants involved?

We aim to record responses from approximately 200 participants.

What will be done if I take part in this research?

You will be asked to fill out an anonymous online questionnaire.  Only the investigator will be able to see individual responses, and no questions will include personal identifiers. Your responses will be aggregated with responses from other participants, and we will report the averages of all responses we receive.  We are not collecting any identifying information.

How will my privacy and the confidentiality of my research records be protected?

We will not collect any identifying information from you for this study.  Only averages from the whole group will be used in a publication or presentation.

What are the possible discomforts and risks for participants?

We do not foresee any risks associated with participating in this study.

Will there be reimbursement for participation?

There will be no reimbursement for participation. Participation is entirely voluntary.

What are the possible benefits to me and to others?

There is no direct benefit to you by participating in this research. The knowledge gained will benefit the public in the future and inform future research that measures the impact of TBL in a medical education setting.

Can I refuse to participate in this research?

Your decision to participate in this research is voluntary and completely up to you. You can also withdraw from the research at any time before the submission of the survey without giving any reasons, and your response will not be recorded.  You are free to refuse to participate or discontinue participation at any time in this research.

Whom should I call if I have any questions or problems?

Please contact the Principal Investigator, Dr. Scott Compton at (+65) 6601-1565 or [log in to unmask]  for all research-related matters.

For an independent opinion regarding the research and the rights of research participants, you may contact a staff member of the National University of Singapore Institutional Review Board (Attn: Mr Chan Tuck Wai, at telephone (+65) 6516 1234 or email at [log in to unmask]).

Scott Compton, PhD :: Associate Dean :: Associate Professor :: Medical Education, Research & Evaluation :: Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School :: 8 College Drive, Level 3, Singapore 169857 :: 65-6601 1565 (Office) :: 65-6227 2698 3847 (Fax) :: [log in to unmask] :: www.duke-nus.edu.sg