Thanks for your suggestions Dee.  Our curriculum is fully integrated so TBL groups remain the same across all courses in a single year and there is some standardization regarding grading policies.  Since we’re using ipeer, students are able to review their reports including their scores from the likert scale and the responses from their colleagues.  Our goal is not to ensure identical feedback but to discourage it.  While most student provide thoughtful, individualized comments to their teammates, a surprising number have taken shortcuts such as copying identical feedback for each teammate.  This demonstrates a lack of concern for the professional development of colleagues and it seems as though there should be some sort of consequence.

From: Dee Fink [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 6:07 AM
To: Bridges, Kristie
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Poor quality peer evaluation

Kristie,

If you have multiple sections in your course, yes, you do need to reach consensus across sections.
     But I am not clear why you would need consensus on how to do this across courses?  In most departments and universities, professors have freedom to construct their own grading system for their various courses.  But that may be different in your situation.

Your comments about ensuring identical feedback and needing to grade the quality of their feedback do not describe what I do.
     I do set up a common structure for the feedback generated by peers within a team and within the whole course.  Everyone is given a form that calls for two items:  a number and a set of comments, for each of the other members of the team.
    There is, of course, some variation in the extent, depth, and thoughtfulness of various comments.  But that variation has not been a problem.  I do encourage them to give thoughtful and helpful comments to others, even as they want to receive thoughtful and helpful comments.  Ultimately though, the function of the comments do not affect the grade; they "simply" give feedback to the student as to the reason their peer evaluation was high or low.  It is the peer evaluation scores that they get from the other members of their team, that goes into the calculation of their grade.
     I also compile the numbers and comments into a individual report that goes back to each person in the team.  If you have large numbers of students, this could be generated by a computer.

You may want to read (or re-read) the webpage on "Peer Evaluation" on the TBL website.  Larry Michaelsen and I put together the document there, called "Two Methods for Calculating Peer Evaluation Scores."  Paul Koles has some additional great suggestions on this webpage for structuring the feedback that students create for each other.

Good luck with this,   Dee