Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 08:18:35 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Designating Courses "TBL"
To: [log in to unmask]

I would add to Lane’s commentary on many approaches being methods other than TBL. We have encountered this issue when implementing TBL at our medical school in 2012/13. With some limited faculty training initially
 many where delivering sessions labelled ‘TBL’ which did not follow the proper process (i.e. effectively often as not small group teaching and in lecture mini-quizzes’ etc.) resulting in the students often giving feedback around “..this TBL session was better
 than that one…”

Representative faulty members meet and agreed the specific criterion for labelling sessions as TBL to ensure this didn’t happen in future years , and so far this has been very successful. Happy to share the document
 think it will be of use.

Regards
Kevin

Dr Kevin McConville
Senior Clinical Teaching Fellow
University of Dundee
Centre for Undergraduate Medicine
Medical Educational Insititute
Undergraduate Dept. of Tayside Centre for General Practice (uTCGP)
MacKenzie Building
Kirsty Semple Way
Dundee
DD2 4BF