We do the following:
If they are late - we don’t allow them into the iRAT, but they can wait and join their team for the tRAT, getting the team tRAT mark but zero for the iRAT.
If they are absent - we ask them to submit their reasons for absence (standard form), if they can evidence it was a necessary absence (e.g. Sick note), we discount that whole RAP from their end of course score. If there’s no evidence / no reason submitted, it’s zero for both individual and team scores.
We occasionally have a situation where students arrive to class without their clicker (which they are supposed to bring with them for their iRAT). If the do this, we need a penalty (or they’d be forgetting left, right and centre - and we’d be doing a lot of hand-marking), so we allow the students to come in and see the iRAT test paper, on which they can write their answers. The lack of clicker means zero for the iRAT, but they’ve seen the questions and thought about them, and they are ready to contribute to the tRAT, for which they share the marks with the rest of the team.
So far it is working out OK!
I’d be wary, in our entirely TBL curriculum, to give students missing classes a tRAT score when they didn’t contribute - it’s like “free marks” from their colleagues, and I think our professional body (we’re a pharmacy course) would definitely frown on that!
Josie

Dr Josie A Fraser
Programme Leader for Pharmacy
Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology

University of Bradford School of Pharmacy
Richmond Road
Bradford
West Yorkshire
BD7 1DP