Here, here!

Our University has a team-intensitive requirement for all students and, while we still struggle with all of the permutations of that requirement, one thing is certain: learning to function in a diverse world is our mission.  Our students must learn to do that.

Having said that, or perhaps because of that, there are ways to mitigate some religious objections to teamwork.  They simply require a bit of work and understanding on our part.  For example, let's take a young person who comes from a background that forbids their being alone with an unrelated person of the opposite sex (I realize this is substantively different from the case at hand).  Do we tell them that they cannot study anywhere but those schools who likewise forbid male-female interactions?  I would argue no.  This situation is "easily" (I realize how complex this can get) dealt with by knowing enough about the students ahead of time to avoid placing them in an otherwise single-sex team, and by working closely with the team to make sure they take the student's needs into consideration.  This, I would argue, is a win-win situation for team-based learning: enhancing our students' abilities to navigate in a complex, multicultural world while not compromising our own course expectations.

Best,

Tammy Tobin

Sent from my iPad