From: Team-Based Learning [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Herb Coleman
Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Assessing and marking student confidence on MCQs

I'm still considering using the combined multiple choice method.  It would work like this:
Each item would have 8 choices...

A).
B).
C).
D). All of the above
E). None of the above
F). A and B but not C
G). B and C but not A
H). A and C but not B

The options are to award partial credit if they choose A, B or C when that's only part of the answer or to only give credit if they get it exactly correct.  Either way, the idea is to determine if they fully understand all of the components of a particular concept.  It also reduces the likelihood of a successful guess.  I do realize that it can also lead to mor second guessing but it should differentiate between those who truly know the answer and those who don't.

Herb Coleman, Ph.D
Adj. Prof.of Psychology
Austin Community College