I completely agree about the importance of academic integrity. This is not a new problem. Over the years (centuries?), faculty have implemented various procedures to prevent cheating, yet as Tricia points out, many students still find ways to cheat. It seems impractical to develop and implement a completely secure system, especially in TBL.

I advocate fostering a culture of trust between students and faculty. Faculty assume that students are honest, apply reasonable safeguards to limit cheating, and follow through with penalties for those who break this trust. This may include reminding students of any institutional honor codes. I realize this won't be 100% effective, but I have been satisfied using this approach at several institutions. I have never received complaints from students that others are cheating.

One of the advantages of TBL is that students who engage in the activity will learn the material better than those who do not. If students understand that this will help them succeed on other course exams, or standardized testing, it will encourage them to engage in the activity.

Chris

Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:01:13 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: IF AT problems
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello everyone - I am new to TBL but not to academic integrity so I had to weigh in on this very important discussion.

As many as 42% of undergraduates admit to cheating at least once per year, so the actual percentage who cheat is quite high. While I think that the TBL method by itself will actually reduce the opportunities (and temptations) to cheat, cheating will still happen. That's not really the problem though. The problem occurs when educators fail to respond. Educational institutions around the world are generally failing at this and, as a result, we are graduating students who have internalized cheating as an acceptable method to get ahead and have grades that may not be reflective of the learning and abilities implied by their degree.

So, Dan is absolutely correct - not only is it important to address cheating in order to ensure a trustworthy and fair learning environment for all students, but it is absolutely critical for teaching students professional integrity. This is my area of specialty, so if anyone is interested in researching academic integrity in the TBL classroom or folding professional integrity lessons into your existing curriculum, I'd be happy to discuss with you.

Tricia Bertram Gallant, Ph.D.
Director, Academic Integrity Office
University of California, San Diego
508A Student Services Center
9500 Gilman Drive, 0069
La Jolla, CA, 92093-0069
858-822-2163
858-534-7925 (fax)

UCSD is an institutional member of the International Center for Academic Integrity